June 23, 2008

The Things They Play

It is an experience to watch children play. Just to watch them pull from experiences or stories they have heard or seen and then incorporate those experiences or stories into their play.

For example, I have witnessed a funeral (for Mickey Mouse) complete with a coffin and a procession. I didn’t know Mickey died!

Now, today, I turn around to find my son with his shirt off. I thought perhaps he was hot. I inquired as to why he was not wearing his shirt. I was informed that he was rehearsing for a play. He was playing Jesus and the play was tonight AND I MIGHT be invited! What does he mean “might”?

Some time passed before he came out of his room. He was wearing a blanket wrapped around his mid drift. He had tucked it in just the right places so that it looked like the one you see in pictures of Jesus on the cross. I had to inform him that he had to keep his clothes on (since he was carrying his pants I figured the blanket was all he had on). He told me he would just tuck the blanket in around his shorts. Obviously, this was a dress rehearsal.

I later walk into his room to find his sister putting her shirt on. “What are you doing?” Her reply…“I’m playing the thief.” Hmmm, like father like daughter??? In any event, I told her she would have to leave her shirt on.

No comments: