June 3, 2008

Excuse Me

I cleaned my desk off today. I have some how collected all kinds of stuff that does not belong on a desk. Things like very small pencils that have been sharpened to the point they have no led left in them (compliments of my son). I also had an empty clam shell that big daddy found in his swim trunks. There was a small debate on whether that was from the beach two years ago or the lake last year. Either way, its clean because it’s been washed a few times!

There were also items like used chapstick. Did you raise an eyebrow and think…used chapstick? Well that would be compliments of ‘Lil H. She has lost her privilege to use chapstick so many times it’s a wonder she hasn’t figured out that she’s not getting it back. First we had to learn that it is NOT a crayon for mirrors. Then we had to learn that dolly doesn’t wear it. I’m not sure she figured this out but chapstick DOES NOT fall on you either! The last little episode was on a Sunday several weeks ago. I found her walking in the family room with chunks of chapstick on her hand, mouth, cheeks, etc. She looks at me and blurts out “it just fell on me”. What could I do but laugh hysterically inside and explain chapstick does not fall on people.

I put the chapstick on my desk out of the reach of little hands. I’m tired of looking at it. It’s missing chunks, its been wound up to the “sticking” point and forced back in so many times I’m surprised there is anything left. So, today, I decided it was time to say goodbye. I thought I was being clever by putting it in the trash can hidden in the corner by my desk. After all, no one ever looks in there … right? WRONG.

I am sitting at my desk and here come my son and ‘Lil H. She glances in the trash. She says: “Uhm, excuse me, mom? Is there something you need to tell me?” AAAGGHH that’s what I’m supposed to say to her! I handled it very coolly though. I laughed out loud and hugged her. That’s what I’m supposed to do…right?

No comments: