November 18, 2008

Learning to Write

Home schooling is difficult for me (and I guess others too).  There are doubts and questions.  Questions like:  "Is he where he should be?"  "How do I motivate him?"  There are the what ifs that creep in and add to the doubt. 

There are days when I just do not see the progress.  There are days I want to just quit.  Then I get a glimpse of progress, a snippet of encouragement.  I see him trying or taking a step or finally grasping a new concept or even a concept that we have gone over 100 times!

Now the little "song" below is something he wrote today.  The spelling could make one wonder what I'm teaching but the fact that he came up with this all by himself, wrote it on his own, and from his heart - well, like any mom - it makes me want to cry. 

untitled001

I can work on the spelling - he's a little confused with the "i" sound because he knows that "y" sometimes says the long "i" sound.  I have seen him spell it correctly.  The question is, do each of us think that way.  Do we like God because he is "our" God?  Is he "our" God?  I sure hope he's yours. 

Ultimately, my encouragement really should not come from seeing progress...sometimes we don't see progress.  We rarely see the "big picture".  My encouragement needs to come from God - for He does not go up and down like waves in an ocean. 

Today I was frantically trying to get Lil H to move it along as she changed into her dance clothes - IN THE HALLWAY - WITH CLASS ROOMS AND LITTLE EYES ALL AROUND and I was trying to corral three other little princesses in order to get them to dance so they could change - things were chaotic.  I made the comment to another mom "I don't think I have control here".  Her response, quite profound - That's good - that's just were God wants you.  She's right.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Big I has an incredible heart. That's the most important part.