February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day Extravaganza

We had fun today. I played beauty shop with Hannah. I should say that I had fun. She pretty much complained the entire time. First, “Mom, you’re pulling my head back.” Second, “Mom, I don’t want to turn my head that way.” Third, “Mom, I want to watch TV.” This last statement should be made with a whine and pout on your face and repeated multiple times. Fourth, “Mom, I’m sliding out of my seat.” And fifth, “Mom, I want to be done.” All of that was just for the rolling of her hair. For a girl who loves to be all pampered and prissy, she sure does complain a lot.

I thought I had a pretty first class beauty shop. I set up a TV tray with a 7Up (which she never gets) and I offered it in her very own cozy (not cuzy(sp?) or cozy(?) – she pronounces it cozy – as in sitting by the cozy fire)! I served her PBJ cut into small slices so she would not get it on her face. I cut up the strawberries and served them with the sandwich.

Time for to step into a “Time Machine”. Have you ever used the pink sponge rollers? They look something like this.

317OjIyaHmL._SL500_AA175_

When your mom puts them in your hair, you look like this:

IMG_0518 

How about hairdryers, do you have one? I bet it doesn’t look like this:

IMG_0515

Note:  This hairdryer is called the Lady Schick Time Machine

IMG_0514

Once your hair is rolled, you sit under the hairdryer, and you look like this:

IMG_0512

IMG_0513

Yes, you may gawk at me, I made my daughter sit under a hairdryer that I’m pretty sure I sat under and I know my mom sat under. I figure if I’m going to put my kids in therapy I might as well add this to the repertoire of reasons.

Actually, I was amazed when my mom told me she still had a dryer like this, not to mention shocked when she called to tell me she had retrieved it from the attic and plugged it in and it STILL WORKED! At the time she called I was in the dollar store purchasing the lovely pink rollers. They had black but why would I get black? Pink is so – well, you know.

Now, here is the question of the year: Do you remember when a woman would roll her hair then she would put a scarf on it. Why? Surely she didn’t think it looked better!

Believe it or not, this was exactly what Lil H asked me. I’m sure it was to hold the rollers in place; keep the head warm because the hair was usually rolled wet; keep the hair in the rollers in case the woman decided to drive her 50’s or 60’s convertible; or perhaps it was just to hide the unsightly rollers. Personally, I wouldn’t leave the house either way.

When one puts a scarf on her head over her rollers, it looks something like this:

IMG_0516 

Remember how I stated I would not go out in public either with or without the scarf? Well, we did. I was so bright when I ordered the corsage I made the pick up time for 4:00. Hellloo, that would be prime primping time! So, we had to make a quick run to the store to pick up the flowers. Fortunately, Lil H is not aware of my never go in public with a scarf on your head while wearing rollers phobia.

The end result of all the work and mental anguish was worth it.

IMG_0524

Tonight is the Father/Daughter Dance. So we spent the day making straight hair into curly hair.

IMG_0529

Daddy and Lil H had a great time. They danced and ate and visited with a few friends. And Daddy got her home before she turned into a pumpkin.

Big I was not left out either. He and I went out for our traditional dinner of Chinese and then off to Chuck E Cheese (or Chunky Cheese depending on who you ask in my house). We were going to go jump on inflatables but the place was closed. So Big I had to make due with video games. We had a great time. He presented me with a rock or “crystal” as he calls them and an I Love You Mom note. Very cute.

No comments: