September 29, 2011

Amazing

Sometimes there are words a mom will overhear her child say or deeds she will see her child do that no one else sees, hears or even notices. Things that make a mom amazed at the maturity or thoughtfulness of a child. Things that, if left unchecked, can make a mom really boastful. In my experience these moments of "pride" are soon followed by moments of shock as I watch the same child break every rule in the book at which time I want to hide under a rock. I know I taught him/her better than this!

Tonight I had a moment of amazement at the politeness of Big I. He and his sister were outside playing. They played with a neighborhood friend. Nothing unusual about that. The little friend had dinner with us. I was a little embarrassed because I decided not to go to any great lengths for dinner tonight (long day you know). So I had one of the worst meals (outside of eating fast food). We had microwave chicken nuggets and curly pasta with butter. Not sure if there are any nutrients in this meal but it was easy. Filler up kids!

It was getting late (close to 8:00). Big I needed to get his shower while Lil H and friend finished dinner. Big I left but then came back and I heard this: "Hey (insert little friends name here" I have to go get my shower so I may not be able to see you out. I just wanted to say goodbye..."

I can't finish the rest because I tuned it out. I think I was shocked at the thoughtfulness of Big I. He's 9 and he came back to say goodbye. Then there's the phrase "see you out" - do I use that? I don't think so. Not sure dad does either. Maybe we do. I don't know. Regardless of whether we use it or not, it was a very polite, courteous, thoughtful thing to do and in these times we could use a little more of it in this world. Good job Big I.

No comments: